Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sachoom



28.7.10

7:00 Wake

8:30 Breakfast

10:00 Work

6:30 Gwanghwamun with Yoon Jeong

8:00 Sachoom

When I told Lori, who is Korean, that I was going to Seoul for two weeks she gave me her sister’s number and urged me to call her when I arrived. I called Yoon Jeong (Helena) and made plans to meet up with her near Gwanghwamun.

Sometimes meeting a friend of a friend can be a bit awkward. While I know Lori I may not be able to connect to her sister. But it was a treat to meet a native so kind and patient. Yoon Jeong runs her own media consultancy business. She had a client to see that evening and gave him tickets to a musical/dance review. While we were there, we met up with the production manager, who invited us to stay for the show—Sachoom. The show's simple story is about dancing. What a treat.

29.7.10

7:30 Wake

8:00 Breakfast

9:00 Prep

10-5:30 Work

6:30 Dinner

30.7.2010

8:00 Wake

8:30 Breakfast

9:30 Prep

10-5:30 Work

6:00 Dinner

7:00 Show

Fresh Seafood.

Last night I was people watching in Hyehwa. On a particular corner, street vendors sold seafood: steamed mussels and snails and live octopus and red sea cucumber which were in oxygenated tanks. One couple ordered octopus and the vendor pulled out one elegant creature from the tank. She disemboweled the animal and proceeded to cut it up with a knife. She placed it on a plate, garnished it with sauce and onions and served it. The couple began to eat it even as the tentacles were still alive and moving. I wish I had tried it.



© Hector Lee, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment