Saturday, July 17, 2010

Okinawa and Japan

















































Yoriko & Kalin and our sandman

































17.7.10

I am on my 4th day in Okinawa. Tokashiki is laid back squared. I have difficulty communicating as I do not speak Japanese but the people are very patient and willing to meet you half way on communicating. If I were to learn Japanese, it would be heer. The people are friendly and patient enough for me to make mistakes. The challenge would be to be disciplined enough to study. I am fortunate Yoriko is Japanese.

And yesterday our friend Yuki joined us. We spent the whole day at the beach. I am becoming brown again--just hope for no burning or skin cancer.

Yesterday, I had Okinawan kakigori (shaved ice). It was like a snow cone but with sweet red beans (Asian preference), sweetened condensed milk, coconut, kinako (soy bean flour) and ube (a purple yam). Sweet and cool for hot, humid Okinawa.

I have been eating sashimi every day here. Yum yum.



























18.7.10

There are mosquitoes here but they concentrate in the heavy vegetation. But interestingly, flies do not seem to be a problem, and while it is steamy and hot, I have yet to see a cockroach or rodent. Lucky Okinawans.







19.7.10

7:30 Wake

Storm

Breakfast

Pack

Wait

Wait

Wait

Wait

Wait

Wait

Lunch

Nap. I don’t feel well

4:30 to Ferry Naha.

We woke up to a stormy day. Just as well, as I feel lethargic and feverish.

I had got sunstroke in Okinawa. I felt feverish, tired and had a headache. I spent a good part of an afternoon on a tatami in a room sleeping. I think it is because I didn’t hydrate enough and not enough protection from the sun (sunblock and clothing). It would not feel better until I got to Kuwana city, at Yoriko’s parents’ home, where I could rest and get better.


































Yuki, Kalin & Yoriko at Noodle Restaurant















Okinawa Soba--delicious even on hot days.














Fish Market in Naha, Okinawa


















I had my first chicken sashimi (raw chicken) in Naha.


20.7.10

Wake

Breakfast

Shurijo Castle

Noodle Palace

Market

Airport

Arrive in Nagoya.

Before the Japanese took over Okinawa in the 17th century, it was an independent kingdom of Ryukyu, which owed its allegiance to the emperor of China. Shurijo castle’s vermillion color is indicative of the Chinese influence. The Ryukyu Kingdom was a commercial transit center in East Asia: between China, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia.

Shuriju Castle Park


Kalin, Yoriko, Yuki and myself at the gate of Shuriju Castle
















Shisa are Ryuku guardian spirits the ward off evil spirit to homes. One Shisa has its mouth open and the other, closed.

Japan, land of politeness, wrapped gifts, and automated toilets.

There are the surface aspects of a culture, which are evident to an observant outsider, who can appreciate, dislike or fail to understand cultural norms (like the giving of wrapped gifts when visiting a home). Then there are the experiential aspects to a culture which are understood by being in the culture and living in it (like the taking of an evening bath). It is in the doing that one understands. Finally there are the subtle, more profound aspects to culture that are subject critical analysis (like the hierarchical structure of Japan and other Asian cultures). They are the aspects of a culture which can enhance and bring life to one person but may be constricting and oppressive to another. This analysis comes only from someone who lives and understands the culture.

My host family from 2005: Joo Ha Kim and Boo Yoon Kim






One of the treats of going to Japan is osento--hot spring baths. This one was so beautiful and well designed, I actually thought it was artificial...










21.7.10

Rest due to sunstroke

Dinner

Osento: Spa Land

22.7.10

Train to Ise

Lunch with Hoo Ja and Kim San

Jinju shrine

Train to Kuwana

Yuka’s for dinner

Ito San and Yumiko San, Yoriko's parents. It is always a treat to see them.


23.7.10

Bus to Airport

Arrive Narita

Arrive Incheon

Arrive Dormitory in Seoul.

Some airports have restaurants and shops even after you enter through security: San Francisco. Some airports have convenience food stalls and a few shops after security: Narita. And some airports have nothing after you enter the security gate: Bangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment