Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I will miss L. R. Flynn

Yesterday I went to Flynn to get the last of my belongings. I tried to get there early. As I parked at school I saw a parent who berated me for leaving: “I’m mad at you. I can’t believe you’re leaving! Why’d you have to leave? I’m mad at you.”

“Sonya, I told you I was thinking of looking for anther position.”

“No you didn’t. If you had told me that, I would have told you to stay. I’m mad at you. Why’d you have to leave?”

“I’m sorry.”

“They gave your position to someone else. You’re suppose to leave after a sabbatical. Not now when you have come back. I’m mad at you. Why’d you have to leave?”

“Maybe we can go out and get a bite to eat after school settles in.”

“When?”

It was hard to be there as I met up with friends and colleagues and said good bye. It felt as I was abandoning them. It is not that I can’t continue my relationships with colleagues but it will not be the same as without the day to day contact. Now effort and planning will be necessary to meet up with people.

I later arrived at Marshall where I was welcomed by staff but I am the new kid on the block and will have to get to know a new staff, students and families. Today one of the male teachers mentioned that they have guayabera Fridays at Marshall and that I will have to get one. It was a nice gesture to be a part of the Marshall culture but it also made me wistful for Flynn and the culture I know there.

No comments:

Post a Comment