Friday, July 1, 2011

Goodbye Ti Couz

So my nephew wanted to eat French food on his last night in San Francisco and I thought I would take him to what was one of my favorite restaurants in the City. But when I drove by I noticed it was closed. Apparently it was closed at the end of May.  How sad.

It opened around the same time I arrived in San Francisco in the early 1990s, when Valencia Street was a grittier. I remember my first meal there was divine. I came to it again and again because no matter what you ordered, it was delicious, you could not go wrong. The food was the spiritual solace of Brittany. My favorites were the French onion soup or the salad de mer. The buckwheat crepes were unique and savory, not like the crepes you find in other eateries. My favorite combination was sausage, mushroom and cheese or onions. They had a slight fermented pear cider to accompany the meal. And for dessert there were any number of combinations: bananas & nutella, apple compote with berry syrup. In recent years, I thought the quality had gone down; there were no longer the long lines listed on the white boards. Still I will miss this place. It was like an old friend. Good bye Sylvie. Goodbye Ti Couz.

No comments:

Post a Comment