Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Death, disease, and destruction

On the first of January, one of my neighbors wished me, “Happy New Year.”

“I hope it is,” I replied.

“How do you know?”

“Because it is an even numbered year. 2009 was a terrible year. Look at 2001, when 9-11 happened. 2010 is going to be a good year.”

Two days ago I got word that my friend Maureen lost her mom after a long bout with illness. Death is a part of life and as Christians, faith commends us to look at death as athe door to new life. On Saturday, I found out Fumi, my flower lady at the Farmer’s Market, is dealing with bone, lung and breast cancer. She is so buoyant and hopeful—but the news is very sad. And last week, Haiti suffered its worst earthquake in 200 years. I can only imagine my world destroyed into rubble. Death, disease and destruction seem to rein along with the challenges we face at my school.

But I have faith that the God continues his presence in all of this. We are not forsaken. We give thanks for life and blessings always.

No comments:

Post a Comment