Monday, August 24, 2009

back in the pool

There is nothing like a diving into a cold pool to wake you up. It jars the body with the sensation of cold and wet and stimulates the mind with blue and surprise and consciousness. But soon after you acclimate to the watery world and swim gracefully (or not so) in the chilly water.

Last week, I dived into school. On Monday, I felt the freneticism of trying complete my list of things to do before instruction began and to locate documents and materials. On Wednesday, half of our staff had brief discussion on race and equity. And while this is important to consider as we teach, I generally find these process-driven discussions unsatisfying and frustrating, as they do not come to some concrete and helpful conclusions. On Thursday, I had the satisfaction of accomplishment when a colleague and I did our part to beautify the school by putting up colorful bulletin board paper and taking down old, tattered posters. On Friday I was disheartened by the dysfunctionality of my district: a newly arrived Special Education teacher was unable to set up his classroom as children from the child care center were still using his room, the child care teacher had yelled at him and thrown objects against the wall, the director was no where to be found, his furniture had been brought from his former school and lost, and the district had not disclosed the transfer of the class until spring even though it was in the works for two years. I thought, No wonder parents lose faith public schools. But this was all before any students arrived.

Today was first day of teaching after a year-long sabbatical (14 months of rest actually). It was exhausting. I wonder how I will continue to have energy for this as I age. But it was wonderful to reconnect with children and parents, who were so happy I had come back to them. And I felt fortunate (and proud) to work with a great group of professionals, who in nearly every classroom, managed their students well. So while the water was cold and arresting, I am glad to work to earn my keep, but more importantly to contribute to the edification of our culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment