Monday, April 11, 2011

Bad day



Running late on the first day of testing,
I arrive at school where the staff is locked out since the secretary is sick. Stressing
Hurriedly, I prep tests before the teachers arrive:
There are changes to the schedule and
Missing materials and proctors. Flexibility.
My boss tells me there was a BIG mistake in the budget. Compassion. 
Cuts, cuts, cuts. Fear.
I improvise an poorly-prepared lesson. Regret.
Tired and headached, 
I collaborate to prepare a meeting (which should have been done days before)
And our third presenter arrives winded. No parking
I discover a wellspring of unsourced anger.

There is no bad day, only challenged moments met with grace or not.
There is no bad day, when you start the day contented not for what you’d like
But for what you have,
And are given in the evening a brushed lavender sunset and reflective conversation with friends.


©  2011 Hector V. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment