Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Birth of Impressionism

Tonight I went to see the deYoung’s current exhibit of the “Birth of Impressionism: Materpieces from the Musée d’Orsay.” What a charming show! Through the work of Manet, Degas, Monet, Renoir, Pissarro, Cezanne, Bouguereau and Whistler, it shows how 19th century art in Paris was transformed from the classical, idealized human form of allegorical, historical or religious themes of the State-sanctioned salon to the contemporary, realistic subjects in seemingly unfinished work of the avant-garde artists of the time. I really enjoyed Manet’s brushy, unfinished, flat work and the wonderful compositions of Degas (he cuts the persons in half or shows the hindquarters of the horse prominently).

I am always inspired when I attend a good show; it inspires me to tap into my own creativity to do my own art. And it makes me a bit sad for the work I do not do.





















Edouard Manet The Fifer ©Musee d’Orsay














James Abbott McNeill Whistler Arrangement in Gray and Black, No. 1: Portrait of the Painter’s Mother. ©Musee d’Orsay


No comments:

Post a Comment